Hear this out loudPauseYes, contractors in Texas generally need a license to operate legally. However, the licensing requirements can vary based on the type and scope of the construction work. Specialty contractors usually need to get a license from the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR).
What is needed to start a construction company in Texas?
Hear this out loudPauseBecoming a general contractor in Texas is extremely easy. Because the state doesn't require a license, there are no age, experience, or educational requirements. However, you will have to register your business with the state or county, depending on your business structure.
How much money should you have to start a construction business?
Hear this out loudPauseThere are many one-time and ongoing expenses that must be considered when budgeting for your new business. The cost of starting a general contractor construction company ranges from approximately $50,000 for smaller businesses to up to $500,000 for larger enterprises, depending on the size and scope of the venture.
How do I start an independent contractor business in Texas?
- Register a state business entity.
- Choose a contractor license type.
- Meet the basic requirements for your license.
- Obtain a Texas contractor license bond or insurance.
- Apply for your license.
What is the easiest contractors license to get?
Hear this out loudPauseThe easiest kind of contractor's license is a Class “B” Contractor's License. This license allows you to do general contracting work. There are also licenses for specialty contracting work called a Class “C” Contractor's License. These are for jobs like plumbing or electrical.
What do I need to start a construction company in Texas?
- Name your Texas construction company.
- Develop a construction business plan.
- Choose a business entity type.
- Find a location in Texas.
- Get contractor licenses and permits.
- Register for taxes in Texas.
- Plan your financials.
- Fund your Texas construction company.